Stacy interviews a classmate with whom she attended kindergarten through 12th grade in Grand Forks, ND. Michelle Brislin currently works at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN, but lives in Shakopee, MN.
At the end of the podcast, Michelle shared an important nugget about the importance of preserving relationships when leaving.
Here are some practical ways to do that:
1. Give your supervisor as much notice as possible (minimum 2 weeks, preferably 4
2. Offer to help aid in the transition in any way – finishing projects, documenting
processes for the next hire, even training in the next hire.
3. Write a note of thanks for all you learned and request a continued relationship as
4. Ask co-workers to get together for happy hour or lunch on a regular basis (unless
those relationships were incredibly toxic. Then just be gracious and civil.)
5. Support the organization – attend events, post on social media, volunteer, etc.
6. Keep supervisor and close colleagues abreast of your career progression, your life.
7. These folks are great references, connectors, and you never know…you may want to
work with the organization again in the future.